Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Guatemala: Dia Cinco

Woooo coming in hot with dia cinco! ...I am thoroughly aware that you are on the very edge of your seat because all of sudden the Guatemalan week is no longer going to take me all year to blog about. I am as well on the edge of the not-so-comfy futon (of course due to anticipation NOT due to the springs sticking in my rear...promise.) Three days in a row of blogging is a shocking and exhilarating fact for us all...all 5 readers (myself included.). hey hey shout-out Mom, Dad, Tor, and Allison :)

Wednesday was really fun. Our morning assignment was at the health clinic to continue work on the mission's project of extending the clinic facilities to include a place for families of patients to stay while their loved one is receiving care (similar to Ronald McDonald House).  This project equals construction work for the volunteers to help with!! Hold back the snickers, boys...all 15 females in our group took this on like champs.  Sawing rebar, cutting alambras or wire, and tying it all together with pliers in hand like we have done every day of our lives...well...almost.  It was hard work, very hands-on, and unlike anything I had ever done before.  The conversation and laughs had during our first attempts still are making me smile right now as I am typing this. One of my favorite things about this trip was having completely new experiences everyday. Always keeping it fresh in Guat, the usual...

Anyways, while twisting metal wires around the rebar (refer to pictures to actually understand what we were doing, because my description is significantly less than stellar) and slowly becoming decent (well somewhere between ehhhh and decent at least) there was an abundance of time for my brain to run away with thoughts (definitely one of its favorite pastimes).  But first some quick background, for some reason our group truly gleamed onto the Spanish word for these metal wires, alambras. I think this started because we were not totally sure that what we were working with was actually wire and did not know how to translate it to English...not to worry though we eventually made the connection.  Oh where were we....oh yes the actual thoughts (and substance of this post) I was having...


The alambras fascinated me.  Some features in particular caught my attention. First of all, it was very malleable (at least before it was rained upon and became rusty).  Secondly, they appears incredibly simple and not all that strong, but in fact these wires were crucial for the structure of this building we were constructing.  Thirdly, they were us.  I mean that in the way that as of right now in my life, I am so beyond blessed to be in such a malleable, unrusted state.  I am attending a university that is giving me knowledge that can be used to make the world a little bit better of a place.  I am young, brimming with energy and passion. I have freedoms now that I may never have again.  Also, the possibilities of where God can be leading me are pretty much endless, endless malleability.  In addition, although my contribution, now and in the future, may be simple, it can also be necessary as the wires were for the structure of the building.  Each one contributed to the bigger end goal. All of us have something incredible to offer the world, I just need to let God take control of the pliers and start twisting and turning me into something way better than I could ever be on my own.


Aldair, he taught us so very patiently

So here's to enjoying the alambras state of life, the malleability, and letting God twist it up.
cheers, friends.

AL.

All photo credits: Alex Meyers

No comments:

Post a Comment