Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Guatemala: Dia Seis

On day six, we smashed bigger rocks with hammers to make smaller rocks in order to have materials for concrete (yes, indeed you should watch out because a rock smasher is on the loose). We continued twisting alambras around rebar and also filled buckets with dirt to be packed and become the floor. Today we were not working on the health clinic addition, but went a little further up a mountain and were assisting in construction of a house for a family of six.



It was a fun project in which new experiences were in fresh supply, that's for sure.  My little nugget of reflection for the day came when my rear was on a rock hammering another rock into tiny rock pieces.

I came to a unparalleled awareness as to where raw materials come from.  I have forever taken for granted where the things you need to get a job done originate, and in this moment I received a nice ole slice of humble pie. I developed a deeper appreciation for utilizing what you have and not making assumptions that you will have everything that you need, when you need it.  The people of Guatemala, especially those at the mission, are very resourceful.

I learned so much more than I can sum up in this quick summary, but I now feel I have more profound respect for those who work in construction, for those you make use of everything they can, and for those who work with raw materials. I hope to put this appreciation to use by trying be more conscious of where the things I have come far and how they made their way into my possession.  I am so grateful that God granted that I have this experience in humility and that it came in such an interesting fashion.

So here's to savoring the humble pie while it's hot and appreciated the everyday ways God surprises me.
cheers.

AL.

No comments:

Post a Comment